We’re bringing you some more great advice today from rainmaking expert, Jaimie Field:
Look at your calendar.
If you are like me, your September is always filled with networking events – traditionally this is the time that associations get back to business and lots and lots of activity.
Time is a precious commodity. You do not have all the time in the world to be involved with every organization.
Maybe now is the time to evaluate the groups with which you are involved. Ask yourself the following four questions:
- How long have you been in that group?
- Do you like the people in the group?
- Have you received any business from that organization or association?
- Are you learning anything being a part of this group that will help you in your career?
If the answer to these questions is NO, then it’s time to rethink your membership with the following caveats:
- If you haven’t been in the group that long, you need to give it a true shot, unless. . .
- You really dislike the members of the group. Then it’s just time to get out.
- If you haven’t given any business to any others, no one is going to give business to you.
Join the associations and create relationships with people who will either provide information that will help you learn more or who will help you grow your business. You do not have enough time to join every organization out there.
One last thing: Just because you leave an association doesn’t mean that you cannot keep in touch and continue to grow relationships with the people you like who you met in that group.
Rainmaking Recommendations are sent the first and third Wednesdays of the month. They are bite size tips that when implemented will cause you to make rain. To learn more about Rainmaking, Goal Setting and Achieving the Life you want as an Attorney please contact Jaimie B. Field, Esq. If you have missed any of the previous Rainmaking Recommendations you can find them at www.jaimiefield.com The Enlightened Rainmaker Blog
Important Note: Before you implement any advice, please make sure that these recommendations do not violate the ethical rules of the associations governing attorneys/solicitors/barristers in your country. Marketing Field, LLC and Jaimie B. Field, Esq. does not take responsibility for the implementation of any advice which is not permitted by the ethics rules of the various authorities governing attorneys in your country.