I am en route to sunny Orlando, and I’m almost as excited about the in-flight wifi that allows me to get some work done as I am about the actual trip. It’s hard to break away from the office, what can I say?
But today, I’m bringing you a brand new rainmaking recommendation from expert Jaimie Field, esq!
A little while ago I came across these startling statistics that apply to sales people. While I do not know if these statistics are truly accurate or who published the study, they have been floating around the internet for a little while.
- 48% of sales people never follow up with a prospect
- 25% of sales people make a second contact and stop
- 12% of sales people make more than three contacts
- 2% of sales are made on the first contact
- 3% of sales are made on the 2nd contact
- 5% of sales are made on the 3rd contact
- 10% of sales are made on the 4th contact
- 80% of sales are made on the 5th – 12th contact
Now, remove the words “sales people” and change the word to “lawyers,” and the words “sales are made ” with “retainer agreements signed.”
Regardless of whether these are precise stats, this is one the biggest problem that most attorneys
have when trying to become rainmakers: Follow up.
One of the objections I hear most from my coaching clients is: “they’ll think I am a pest.” I’ve already
addressed this in Rainmaking Recommendation #80. Following up doesn’t mean pitching your services over and over again – that’s what sleazy salespeople do. It means keeping in touch in meaningful ways that will benefit the person with whom you are trying to create a relationship.
- Introduce them to a potential client for their business,
- Provide information to them that they need,
- Send an article that is of interest to them,
- Invite them to a seminar, networking event or fun event in which they would be interested.
Notice it’s all about them.
Stop selling (i.e. pitching your services) and start finding a way to help your prospective client in a
way that will allow them to enjoy your 5th through 12th contact with them.
Please forward this information to a colleague who you think would benefit; It must be forwarded it in its entirety. All information is the copyright of Marketing Field, LLC © 2013
Rainmaking Recommendations are sent the first and third Wednesdays of the month. They are bite size tips that when implemented will cause you to make rain. To learn more about Rainmaking, Goal Setting and Achieving the Life you want as an Attorney please contact Jaimie B. Field, Esq. If you have missed any of the previous Rainmaking Recommendations you can find them at www.jaimiefield.com The Enlightened Rainmaker Blog.